WA Property Law - Lease Termination and Notice Period Given?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Fiveinbox

24 February 2016
I gave verbal notice to real estate agent that I won't be renewing my lease but did not put it in writing. Now they say I cannot vacate the property unless my 30-day notice is up. Can they legally waive the notice period for me under mutual agreement of termination?

Also, they are selling the property and have even advertised it online. They have had two open houses. I have not been given any written notice, only verbal. Can they insist for written notices from my behalf but get away with phone calls as notices under Property Law?

S

Sophea

Hi Fiveinbox,

If your lease requires that you give written notice then the Landlord or their estate agent on their behalf is entitled to enforce that. However they can of course waive that requirement and you can mutually agree on a lease termination date. What have they given you only verbal notice of? Whether or not verbal notice is valid depends on what it is. The best place to look for an answer will usually be your lease.