QLD Expiry of Notice period for end of tenancy

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

jkerkin

29 October 2020
Hello, my parents have a commercial property with a tenant that pre existed their ownership. He refused to sign new lease terms or get the right Council approvals to occupy the premises. It was an acrimonious relationship. He was on a month to month holding over tenancy (REIQ Commercial Tenancy) and was paying rent. He had agreed that he would enter into a new lease, get the required council approvals and we sent him new terms (with new rent) but he never replied. After saying he would renew he gave notice that he would terminate giving one month's notice. He didn't move out in the 30 days though and didn't contact us at all. He then moved out a month after that. My question is whether the original 30 day notice period expired and the tenant should have given a new notice (or should have sought an extension). This is relevant to the return of the bond. He paid rent up until the last day. My mother was very ill during this period (and ultimately passed away a few weeks after the tenant moved out) so we weren't really in a position to take much action at the time.