QLD Lease - What To Do If Joint Lessee Refuses To Give Notice?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Meredith Laval

15 December 2014
Hi. I have vacated from a unit for which I hold half of the periodic lease. I want to give two week's notice that I am vacating to the property manager asap, but she insists that I can't unless the other party whom I am leasing with also gives two week's notice. I am now paying double rent as I have moved out due to unliveable circumstance at the old property with the other lessor. Can I be prevented from giving two weeks' notice and forced to continue paying rent at the leased property because the other lessee refuses to also give two weeks' notice?

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Meredith,

This will depend on your rental agreement. Does the other lessee wish to move out? If not, it may be that you and your co-tenant rented as joint tenants and so you leaving does not actually end the lease, rather, it transfers all responsibilities on to the other tenant. In this case, you will need to find another tenant to take over your lease.

I suggest speaking with the Residential Tenancies Authority in QLD. If this doesn't work, you may need to resolve your dispute in QCAT.

Reactions: Sophea