QLD Private purchase of car with registration but no roadworthy

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Luke Palmer

1 June 2018
Hi,

I have just purchased a car through means of a private sale. The car is registered but the seller did not provide a road worthy certificate or gas compliance certificate. I have just come back from a local mechanic who has advised me that the car is far from road worthy, and the onus is on the seller to provide this with sale.

What is it best to do from here? Ring the seller and ask for my money back or write an email to advise that I am seeking legal help? Is there anything in the law that will allow me to pursue this?

I have a receipt of purchase, as well as transfer papers filled out by the previous owner, and conversations with proof of purchase on Facebook and how he described the car pre-purchase.

I am really panicking as I think I may have lost my $7,000 so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
It’s an offence to sell a registered vehicle privately without a safety certificate in most cases. I’d suggest going back to the seller and raising the issue, saying that the requirement is on him to get the vehicle in suitable condition to pass the safety certificate inspection and obtain the certificate.