QLD Privacy - Can I Tick Terms and Conditions in My Clients' Stead?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Seanie0284

23 June 2016
Hi

First-time poster, apologies if a little short on any info.

I'm an affiliate working with a wagering company in Australia. I earn money by directing traffic to a particular site and having them sign up via my affiliate code, and in turn, I receive a small commission payment. Part of the sign-up process includes acknowledging that the Terms and Conditions have been read and agreed to, and this box must be ticked in order for a client to continue.

I'm losing too much business by people saying "sure, sounds good, sign me up" but then me having to tell them they need to sign up via a link I send them. I'd like to make the process easier for my directed clients, instead of giving them a link to sign up through, I would like to sign them up over the phone, filling in the details myself on my laptop (asking them to relay the info to me, and I'll type it in and sign up for them).

My question is this - by signing them up over the phone I would need to tick the box that says "I have read, understood and agree to the terms and conditions....." . Clearly, I wouldn't be reading out dozens and dozens of pages of fine print.

Is there any way I could have them agree to the Terms and Conditions verbally without breaching their privacy? Could I tick the box to say they've been read, and perhaps sent the client the Terms and Conditions link via email? Do I have any options available to me?

I just wouldn't want a client to turn around and say to the particular bookmaker I'm affiliated with that they don't agree to a certain rule, and that they didn't agree to the T&Cs in the first place so it should not apply to them.

Thanks in advance

Lance

31 October 2015
No. The method of having someone tick a box to accept terms and conditions is done so that the individual is through a secured login link is acknowledging they accept them. You doing it for them would defeat the purpose of sending them a link. And yes they would likely have grounds to argue that they didn't agree to the T&C's. I don't think you have any real option except to do a harder sell on getting them to login and tick the box.