QLD Possible to Claim the Wages That I Deserve?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Brisguy54

14 September 2016
I joined a hydraulic company in September 2013 as a warehouse operative earning 21/hour.

In January 2015, our customer service lady went on maternity leave.I approached the manager and op supervisor and I said I will fill in the role of customer service while the lady was away.They gave me a verbal agreement that they would increase my pay to that of a customer service officer. I did the role for 3 months but never received the raise.

When the lady came back, I went back out to the warehouse where I was told that the other warehouse operator received a pay rise up to 24.90/hour. I asked the senior management for a raise to the same level - they said no,that they couldn't afford it.

Throughout the year, I had to keep on filling in the customer service role and I got the occasionally raise in wages but it was never close to what I thought I deserved. I asked senior management in head office about the raise but I never received a response.

I left the company on July 4 2016. Is there any recourse I can take to claim what I think I deserve despite leaving the company?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Possibly. If the other role has award wages that are higher than $21/hr then you have a claim. I don't know what award customer service comes under. The Fair Work Ombudsman can tell you what award it is.