WA Poor Treatment in Police Watchhouse - What are My Rights?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

rowena

26 February 2015
I have court on the 24th of March. I was in a treatment centre for a month and had a relapse {alcohol}.

I suffer from seizures if I drink alcohol and usually black out...this happened police were called to rehab. I cant remember anything but I was badly bruised and woke up in a police watchhouse from a Friday night to Tuesday...I was only allowed to speak to somebody on a Monday. I was traumatised, no criminal history and have pictures of my bruising plus info re poor treatment in police watchhouse. Rehab never informed police of my conditions (lack of duty of care).

I can't remember anything and have 3 charges now for serious assault! Need advice asap!

Ponala

10 February 2015
Not enough info to give you any helpful advice. As you have been charged you can ask the police for a copy of the evidence that they rely on - a copy of the Police brief. Once you get that you will see the evidence/witness etc. that they rely on to prove the charges. In regards to poor treatment, make a complaint.

rowena

26 February 2015
Who do you make that complaint to?
I got the court brief....qp9. There is a list of 6 witnesses 1 resident of the facility, 1 staff member (not perm staff member not sure if she has any
medical or counselling skills) and 4 police witnesses..should i post the facts of charge...the thing is Ive no memory of any of the information...
They said I was talking to a female resident calm before I saw them...then I reacted suddenly without warning it seems all very bizarre to me..
Think I will ring a solicitor today/ free legal aid as the court is coming up soon. Im just wondering why the ambulance wasnt called first and why the police where not informed that i am an alcoholic not drug user and do have seizures. Ive have proof of that.Can't sleep with stress of this ongoing issue and also pain in my right arm getting numbness and tingling still after a week today.

Ivy

10 February 2015
Hi Rowena,

I think you have made a good decision to contact a solicitor today. They may be able to help you mount a defence to the charges.