QLD Police

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

rachwhit

20 May 2023
I was at a service station last night getting money out of the ATM. When I walked out of the service station there was 4 police paddy wagons blocking my car in so I could not leave. Instantly I became irate because I had not committed a crime and nor was I in the middle of committing a crime yet the Qld police had blocked my car from moving so essentially I was detained and was not free to leave. I asked them to move their car. They refused saying they needed to test the driver for alcohol and did not have a breath test on them so I needed to wait for another crew to arrive so the driver could be breath tested. I became so angry BC of the way they blocked me in. Eventually a crew car arrived and breath tested my driver which was a clean test. They still refused to move their car so we were still not free to leave. A female officer came out of the blue and attempted to pull my car door open as I was trying to close it. I told her off and forced my door closed then wound down my window. She then told me to get out of my car. I said what for she said she was going to search me. I replied I do not consent to a search of my person nor my car. She told me she would charge me with obstruction if I did not get out of the car. I eventually got out and again advised I do not consent to a search of my person or my car. She started to search me and my clothing in a very public spot pulling my clothes at my bra and undies way out for the male officers to see. I objected to the way she was carrying out the search of myself.. She did not pat me down rather pryed over every stitch of my clothing and pryed open my bra and opened my undies in full view of the male officers. Some of the male officers by this stage were conducting a search of my car despite me not giving consent. All the officers found nothing on me or on my car. Where can I find out the laws they must follow in relation to blocking me in unabling me to leave and then conducting searches illegally when I had not nor was I committing a crime? Their behaviour was not professional at all and they did not adhere to being searched in public trying to minimalise embarrassment. They then asked my driver for his ID and found there was a current DV order between the 2 of us. He was free to leave after receiving a notice to appear. He was charged with breach of DV order. I was taken to the watchhouse in a police vehicle. Upon arrival to the watchhouse the female officer directed me into a room and ordered me to take off my clothes. I was strip searched naked in the watchhouse. She had ordered me to take off my undies and squat as well as remove my bra. She handed me watchhouse clothes after looking at my genital area after aski g me to squat. I felt incredibly violated after this event. What are my rights in relation to being detained illegally and searched without consent? Qld police. I felt their conduct to be very unprofessional a d illegal and would like to know where I stand and I could make an official complaint against the female officer.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au

rachwhit

20 May 2023
Yep ok thankyou I will read this now.
I honestly feel raped by this female officer by what she did at the watchhouse. My human rights absolutely violated. Why the actual f**k would she need to strip me naked and have me squat and search me again for the second time looking at my genitals after she already had performed an extremely thorough search of my person back at the service station. Is it lawful to conduct 2 searches of a person without the person's consent, after finding nothing on them the first time? They obviously felt I was safe enough & not in possession of drugs to allow me in the back of the police vehicle. But to perform a second unconsented strip naked search of me without explaining absolutely anything to me & after the fact that the 1st nonconsenual search found no drugs has honestly left me feeling extremely violated. I want to know why the hell they felt the need to block me in with 4 paddy wagons when they didn't even know that I was personally with the vehicle because I was inside the service station when the 4 paddy wagons blocked me in. Is that an illegal detainment? I'm absolutely making an official complaint. Whether it gets me anywhere, I don't know. At the very least I want this female officer held accountable for her misconduct in violating my basic human rights. Qld cops are thugs, breaking the law with vulnerable people every single chance they possibly get & why the hell should I let her get away with that?