VIC Please help ..........

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

rjm

2 February 2020
I'm wondering how I can find out if there is a life insurance policy on my life. My Dad took out life insurance for himself, my Mother & me when I was either born or a small child. They divorced when I was 6. When I was a teenager my mother out of the blue told me that the policies had existed & that my father had cashed them in. I didn't think anything of it, I was a kid. Years later I asked my Dad about it. He was mystified, said that he hadn't cashed them in. He died in 2007 & apart from my Mother is the only person who would know the details, ie which company. Twice in the last 2 years I have almost passed out driving my car after I've drank coffee prepared by my Mum. Both times I had no other drugs or alcohol in my system and was not overly tired. I'm wondering if she has continued make payments on the policy that pertains to me. My Dad was a good bloke, he wouldn't lie about it. He had no need to cash it in, he was comfortably middle class. Because I was a child when the policy was taken out she would still be listed as the beneficiary.

Zerojay

12 March 2017
Life insurance is not my area of knowledge. However I will say a couple of things. A child policy is generally to cover short term expense of a dependent and usually expires when the child reaches an adult age.
Also logically, if your Mum wanted to bump you off for financial reward from insurance, why would she wait for years and years, paying the premiums for all that time? This insurance motive theory is too far-fetched.

I do not give legal advice, just my opinion. Life insurance is not my area of experience nor knowledge.

rjm

2 February 2020
Life insurance is not my area of knowledge. However I will say a couple of things. A child policy is generally to cover short term expense of a dependent and usually expires when the child reaches an adult age.
Also logically, if your Mum wanted to bump you off for financial reward from insurance, why would she wait for years and years, paying the premiums for all that time? This insurance motive theory is too far-fetched.

I do not give legal advice, just my opinion. Life insurance is not my area of experience nor knowledge.

rjm

2 February 2020
I know things about my Mother that she would not want her new partner or my brothers to know. Also up until a couple of years ago it was better to have me around than not. My partner & I were helping to support her financially. Now that she has found herself a cashed up partner she doesn't need my help. I wasn't sure about the insurance thing that's why I asked for input. Many thanks for your contribution. The thing that bothers me the most is that I could very well have killed other people if I had crashed the car. The first time I was towing a horse float on the freeway. I did actually black out for a few seconds. I spent the rest of the journey slapping myself in order to stay awake. I could have killed half a dozen people if I'd crashed.