Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

VIC Pleaded Guilty to Assault Charges - What to Do Now?

Discussion in 'Criminal Law Forum' started by amypearl, 9 December 2015.

  1. amypearl

    amypearl Member

    9 December 2015
    Likes Received:
    Hi there,

    So when I was 19 (young and dumb), I was out dancing in a pub. A girl poured her drink on me so I returned the favour and so she slapped me and we ended up on the floor, but then we both got up and went separate ways. I was near the toilets gathering myself. I started to walk towards the dance floor and she came from the toilets and jumped on me and yelling at me. I turned to face her and threw a punch in self-defence and it broke her nose. She went to the hospital and I went home.

    She charged me for assault, said if I paid her medical expenses she would drop the charges.

    This girl had been bullying me since year 9 in high school! I told her where to go and that I would see her in court.

    She had 5 people ( including her bf and a bouncer who worked at the pub) to say that I started the whole thing. I said, "well, check the cameras it will show the truth!" But in court, I was told the cameras weren't working.

    I had to keep going to court and I would have to sit there for hours! My bf didn't like it and told me I should just plead guilty so we didn't have to keep showing up to court. So I pleaded guilty...

    I wish I never did... Now that I'm 26, I really wish I had my brain back then because I would have fought that and contested it to the end!

    What can I do? Please help.
  2. Louise4007

    Louise4007 Well-Known Member

    8 November 2015
    Likes Received:
    Hi amypearl

    I'm unsure whether a criminal conviction was recorded in your case but if it were, the following applies if the offence was committed in Victoria -

    Criminal record information is kept on the Victorian Law Enforcement Assistance Program (LEAP) database unless
    • diversion was undertaken & any applicable conditions were adhered to, or
    • a person was under 18 at the time of sentencing, or
    • the offence was committed more than 10 years ago

    • Therefore information on criminal records can be made available to employers etc for 10 years from the time of sentencing if a person was over 18.

    This information however is not normally disclosed to employers by police unless you -
    • consent/agree to it being disclosed
    • were convicted
    • sentenced to jail term or received a suspended sentence or,
    • were found guilty less than 10 years ago.
    It seems there is 3 years to wait until no criminal record information exists on your file; in the meantime however, there may be a possibility that your case could be reopened, or a right to an appeal may exist. Certain rules & criteria apply though & you would be well advised to connect with a lawyer if more information can be provided regarding the circumstances of your case. The law stipulates rehearings & appeals can be instituted only in certain circumstances where the facts of a case provide a sufficient basis for this to happen.

    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...

Share This Page