ACT Penalty for too short notice

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ssh

24 September 2018
If an employment contract requires the employee to give 6 months' notice of resigning but does not mention any penalty for giving shorter notice, then what are the sanctions for giving the legal minimum 2 weeks' notice instead of 6 months? Do the penalties depend on whether the employer breached the contract first?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Not enough facts to know.

ssh

24 September 2018
Thank you, Rod! What kind of facts would be relevant? I assume the wording of the contract, but anything else? Are there any legal references off the top of your head that may be relevant to this? I am happy to do some digging.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
If the employee gives two weeks notice, not 6 months, then the employee can be responsible for damages to the employer. I have no idea what damages apply in your situation, but think lost profits and additional hiring costs because of short notice (not costs the employer would incur anyway if you gave 6 months notice).

If the employer breaches the contract there is an argument for constructive dismissal and as such the 6 months notice clause is not operative because you did not resign. Not an easy one for non-lawyers and sometimes one or two seemingly small facts can make all the difference at court as to whether a finding of constructive dismissal is made out.

Reactions: ssh

ssh

24 September 2018
Thank you for the clear answer! The info about damages is useful, and I learned a new term: "constructive dismissal".