VIC Paying rent on a jointly owned property

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Savio

17 October 2018
Hello, a few months ago my ex and I, decided to split up, she moved out on her own will and rents a flat somewhere. I do still pay half of the mortgage and still stay at the jointly owned property getting it ready for sale etc.. Now my ex who moved out, wants me to pay her rent on top of half the mortgage, I have never heard of that, do I have to pay her the rental value of the house every month?

sammy01

27 September 2015
no. Look this stuff gets messy. The ex is paying half the mortgage and rent. True? So I can see her point.

Would you agree to move out, let her move in and give her the same deal?
So you have to pay her rent? no - there is no rental agreement.
But trying to keep things sweet and sorting it between yourselves is better than agro and getting solicitors involved.
How much equity is there in the house?
How long were you together?
Married?
Looking for solutions, like for example agreeing for her to get a little bit more when the joint sells might be a small price to pay. Cheaper than solicitors at $500 per hour.
That said, any legally binding agreement does require you both to get independent legal advice.

Savio

17 October 2018
Thanks Sammy01, I actually offered to move out. But either way, would say paying her half of what the rental value of the house be reasonable? And no there is no rental agreement.

How much equity is there in the house? 185K
How long were you together? - 4 years
Married? - No