QLD Paying Off Credit Corp Debt - Help?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Larni McCarthy

13 July 2018
Misread that, did they approve $100 a week?

That's too low without hardship provisions like suspending or reducing interest.

Yes they approved that and want me to pay $1000 tomorrow then they will freeze the interest to zero.....as long as I still pay 100 per week. What should I do?

Kathy01

9 August 2018
Pls do not pay credit Corp nothing at all

Where is the debt from which bank that sold it to credit Corp

Do you have any other alternative to what action to take with credit corp? With debt hassling and legal threats?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
I suggest you start a new thread and provide some details of your circumstances. We can’t help if we don’t know what is going on.

DMLegal

28 May 2018
While I cannot speak for Credit Corp or any collection agency, I am confident their "deals" (e.g. pay x by y and we will freeze interest) will be valid a few weeks from now once you are satisfied you owe the money.

First things first, tell them you will only liaise by email (say you have laryngitis if you don't feel comfortable telling them that you just want it all in writing because you don't trust them). You could offer to conditionally accept it i.e. "I will pay $1000 by (date) and $100 p/w thereafter with the interest rate at 0.00% providing you furnish me with x, y and z." It would probably be easier to ask for any and all information held by Credit Corp as regards the debt.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
You mean subsection 188(3) of the National Credit Code - not the NCCP (National Consumer Credit Protection Act). The Code is the schedule to the Act.

The provisions of section 188 don't work the way it appears you intend. The provision is about who has to comply with the obligations of the Code as the credit provider - the original lender or (for example) Credit Corp as the company the credit contract is assigned to.

Subsection 188(3) provides that if the original lender continues to receive payments, then the original lender has to comply with the Code. But, 'receives' is deceptive. You can't force the original lender to receive the money, it has to be their conscious decision to keep it. If they refund, reject or forward the funds on to Credit Corp then they aren't receiving it.

In any case, subsection 188(3) has no bearing on the proof of ownership of the debt.

Reactions: DMLegal

Debtsol

27 October 2018
That’s the issue. The original bank keeps the funds and offsets the amt on their credit card statement

The money isn’t on forwarded

You can go to the original bank and the monies can be deposited straight to that credit card.