NSW Parking on private property

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jimmy456

9 November 2023
I am managing a local swimming pool, we have private parking on the outside do our building. A tenant from the apartment next door continually parks in the private park regardless of the many notes left on the windscreen and verbal requests to stop parking there. What can I do?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
How owns the land where the miscreant parks?

Who operates the pool? (eg local council)

Do you have signs up? If yes, where are they placed and what do they say?

Is there video surveillance of the parking area?

Jimmy456

9 November 2023
The pool is privately owned, the council don’t have anything to do with the pool, there are signs up saying private parking and customer only, there is no video surveillance

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Ok.

You have legal options, other options, and illegal options.

1. You can ask @Tim to prepare letters (Legal)
  2. If you know the person's parking habits, park a vehicle/trailer to block the car's exit. The land is your property and you can park where you like on your property
  3. Park another vehicle (old) right alongside so the driver's side so it cannot be used for ingress
  4. Put a large sign behind the car saying it is illegally parked, possibly with creative wording of your choice
  5. I mention various illegal options as a way of listing some actions that are not legal and should not be done:
a) accidentally drop an egg on the windscreen each day (clumsy people have been known to do that)
b) let air out of one tyre, with a note on the windscreen saying you've noticed a flat tyre. (dangerous having someone drive on a flat tyre)
c) borrow car dollies and move the car to a location on your property that makes it difficult, but not impossible, to leave
d) attach a chain to both driver's side doors (carefully and without damaging the car) so driver's door cannot open
e) [insert prank of your choice]

As a lawyer I am obliged to recommend option 1.