Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

WA Private Car Park Charging for Non-Guaranteed Parking Bay - Legal?

Discussion in 'Traffic Law Forum' started by TTam, 4 September 2015.

1. TTam

TTam Member

My question relates to parking in a private car park. The company I work for charges for daily parking however you're not guaranteed a bay, and you're charged regardless of using it or not. I would assume you can't be charged for a service that isn't provided so it doesn't seem right to me and wondering if it's actually legal under Traffic Law to do so?

2. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

Hi TTam,

This would actually involve contract law, as you are agreeing to pay the company for the provision of a service. In circumstances where you get nothing for what you pay for, it may be considered a total failure of consideration. This refers to a situation where one party completely fails to perform their side of the contract, so that the other party may have a claim for "unjust enrichment" for refund of the fee they paid.

This may provide basis to request a refund of any fees you have paid on occasions when you have not been able to park in the facility.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. TTam

TTam Member

Ok thanks Sophea... I got a fine when I parked in a non bay (not obstructing but wasn't marked) as there were no bays left to use which is not uncommon. The fine was reversed when I put in an appeal but they said would go through if I did this again. The problem is not enough bags by a long shot for staff who automatically get deducted from salary, at times so you have to be lucky to find one. So given this, if I looked into it it may not legally stand and they may need to pay money back to many staff. It's very frustrating.

4. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

Yes I would write to them about it and put your concerns down on paper. Perhaps if you got together a few of the employees who feel similarly as you do, you could get a lawyer to provide a letter for you and you could share the cost.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...