QLD Parent's Right to View School Surveillance Video?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
If a public school: Write to the Department of Education requesting the footage.

If a private school: Write to both the principal and school council/board requesting the footage.

Should they refuse, much of what would occur beyond this would depend on what allegedly occurred to your child.

I registered to this forum thinking I would get legal advice from an actual lawyer!

On a side note, lawyers, who like others in professions such as medicine undertake years of study and training - Our expertise, usually provided through advice is not something that can be provided competently to one over the internet whilst only ascertaining one or two sentences of fact - proper, competent legal advice is generally not free either.

throwaway

1 February 2017
Questions.

What were the alleged facts of the said incident?

Did it result in any adverse repercussions or consequences for your child?

Have you already followed the schools policies in relation to 'dispute' management and resolution?

Are you certain the incident took place in a location that video footage is available?

Have you already requested the video footage from the school? If so, what was their response?

If a Government school, have you been in touch with the Dept of Ed to gain further insight into their general views of the situation at hand? Or same from the CEO, if it is a Catholic School, or the governing body of an independent institution if this applies?

Is this a matter that can be dealt with internally by the school or something that requires external involvement?

If external involvement is required then you are best to seek legal advice!

Question 1: At this point in time, I just don't feel like it's safe for me to talk about what happened.

Q2: Errrrrr, yeah. The teacher wrote a report about what happened and that will supposedly stay on record, we'll see about that anyway. but he wasnt expelled, suspended or anything like that.

Q4: No, I have no proof to say that. Even if it did take place in a location that video footage recorded the incident, the school could just flat out deny it, out of their own interest to protect themselves.

Q6: It's not a Gov. school, it's a private school.

MartyK

4 June 2016
throwaway said:
No, I have no proof to say that. Even if it did take place in a location that video footage recorded the incident, the school could just flat out deny it, out of their own interest to protect themselves.

You could be right here. Schools do like to protect themselves.

I am wondering however, if seeking to obtain footage that you are not even sure exists may be an excercise in futility.