VIC Open Colleges - Repercussions if I Stop Payments?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Brendan Dodd

28 November 2015
Hi all,

Just wondering what my options are with Open Colleges. I've recently lost my job and can no longer complete my certificate. Roughly $3000 left on it. I pay about $85 per week.

What are the repercussions if I was to block payments through the bank??

Appreciate any help,

Thanks.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
You have contracted to pay them the whole sum for the course you have signed up for..
Stopping the bank debit will not in itself change that.

Things that can happen:
  • They can discontinue your enrolment
    (there may be cancellation fees or similar involved in that); and/or
  • Lock you out of classes, computer access, library access etc until you pay; and/or
  • Withhold your qualifications until you pay; and/or
  • Take proceedings against you for an unpaid business debt.
Things you should do
  • Don't panic
  • Contact Open Colleges and explain your situation.
    You will not be the first person this has happened to
  • Start reading about VET Fee-Help and see if that is an option

Reactions: Crunch

Brendan Dodd

28 November 2015
You have contracted to pay them the whole sum for the course you have signed up for..
Stopping the bank debit will not in itself change that.

Things that can happen:
  • They can discontinue your enrolment
    (there may be cancellation fees or similar involved in that); and/or
  • Lock you out of classes, computer access, library access etc until you pay; and/or
  • Withhold your qualifications until you pay; and/or
  • Take proceedings against you for an unpaid business debt.
Things you should do
  • Don't panic
  • Contact Open Colleges and explain your situation.
    You will not be the first person this has happened to
  • Start reading about VET Fee-Help and see if that is an option

Hi Tim,

Thanks for replying.

I've spoken to OpenColleges, they are very rude when discussing this topic. The best the lady on the phone could offer me was a 6 month suspension of payments. However they require quite a bit of information, bank records showing my current financial status etc.

I never actually signed anything, it seems a bit unscrupulous to lock me in to paying them over $4000 because I ticked a box on a website saying I agreed.

I have looked into VET Fee-help, unfortunately it's not available for my course. Diploma of Management.

I understand I would no longer be able to finish the course and I'm okay with that, I've already paid them over $1000 that I won't get back, I just can't afford to pay anymore but they won't let me go.

In their terms they state they may report my default to credit agencies, however they don't mention anything about debt collectors? If bad credit is the worse they will do I'd almost take my chances stopping the payments. I'm only 19, I can't see myself needing credit in the next 5 years. I hope.

Sorry for the disorganized questions, I have so many and no one to bounce them off except this forum.

Thanks a lot,
I really appreciate it.

Hannah Mac

11 March 2016
Hi,

I am currently having the same problem with open colleges. Just wanted to know how you went with it all?

Desperately need some help.

Malika raina

12 May 2016
They have done the same thing and I have tested their company, as in not paid anything cause I couldn't afford it. Did you know they had to change their name several times? They are a fraud company that suck people in.

I paid more than $2000 and stopped, for months they sent me a message through lawyers that I had 14 days to pay back the money or else I'd have to pay for their legal fees and they would demand from me for the money I owed. That is the repercussion plus a black mark against your name for debt.
Hi,

I am currently having the same problem with open colleges. Just wanted to know how you went with it all?

Desperately need some help.

Christy

22 June 2021
They have done the same thing and I have tested their company, as in not paid anything cause I couldn't afford it. Did you know they had to change their name several times? They are a fraud company that suck people in.

I paid more than $2000 and stopped, for months they sent me a message through lawyers that I had 14 days to pay back the money or else I'd have to pay for their legal fees and they would demand from me for the money I owed. That is the repercussion plus a black mark against your name for debt.
Having same issues with open colleges never enrolled never signe a contract but now 12 months later they are using debt collectors to extract money for a course I know nothing about I to believe they are a scam company but they do not respond at all