NSW Open Colleges - Rejected Special Consideration Request

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Loavii

9 March 2019
So I paid $6000 upfront for a course, never completed the first module, never had access to any other modules. I applied last October for special considerations for medical reasons, after giving them everything their policy asks for and filling out the form in great detail, I was rejected, came back with some new information, rejected again, they kept saying it wasn’t good enough but their policy clearly states that a medical certificate was a form of proof that I was struggling and wanted to end the course.

The second time, They kept asking for specific wording in the cert asking the dr or psychologist to advise that I’m so sick that i can’t continue study... I discussed it with my dr and we both agreed that dr doesn’t know how my health issues are effecting my life, but dr can vouch that I certainly have them, I’m going through a rough time have and it could be affecting my study. He kindly wrote me a second certificate, and still this was not good enough for open colleges. I went to ACCC and nsw ombudsman and they said it wants their territory, I went to fair trading- so helpful and empathetic as mine was one of many complaints that they have had about the college.

Open colleges replied to fair trading and myself saying I will never get a refund more that just under $2000, tried to pro rata my fees based on time, and even then it’s not correct pro rata... and also lied saying I only ever gave them 1 certificate, which looking back to our email correspondence, is not true.

I started a petition to help past, exisiting and future students - wondering if this will even be effective if I manage to get enough signatures?

Also, if I were to take them to court, do I have a leg to stand on?

jaf

5 February 2021
Hi,

i payed open colleges scammers more then $400 for nothing, i didnt do any part of the course, 0.000% of the course but they want close to $4,000 more for nothing, please help

Gemmgem001

10 February 2020
To the above have you manage to get anywhere I paid $5000 and tried to end the course, they wouldn't let me so I put in for an extension there is nothing in writing to say how many extensions you can have under special consideration, I tried to defer and cancel, I have only had access to units 1 and 2 I really would like to get my money back. There was also a textbook we were meant to receive which I have never been sent. I tried everything I could to either end or finish the course, then Covid hit and I couldn't get placement anyway and they don't help you with that either. I never had any issues with this sort of thing completing my university degree. They also only charge you per course, I really think something needs to be done about this company is pocketing money for nothing. I also would love to hear the recording of when the salesman conned me into starting earlier than I was prepared too by saying it would be $1000 cheaper, to a single mum I was at the time and vulnerable I reluctantly agreed thinking I could defer later if it all got too much?

Gemmgem001

10 February 2020
I have been digging up some more information, the salesman also told me they were part of Nsw tafe , there is also a logo on the first letter, yet I wrote to Nsw tafe and they denied having any affiliation with open colleges will this be enough to get my money back despite trying to defer extend and cancel? I'm running out of time.