NSW Off Duty Police Officer Pulled Me Over - Legal?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

AnnaB

4 September 2015
I was wondering if an off duty police officer (NSW) is legally allowed to pull over a driver, take down that person's details and ask to see the contents of the driver's handbag. This was late at night, the officer identified himself and said he'd seen me driving erratically. He asked a few questions and asked to see my drivers licence. After me showing him the contents of my handbag and he wrote down my details, he said he was giving me a verbal caution. Is this above board?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
I rather doubt that this was a real policeman.

S

Sophea

Hi AnnaB,

Assuming he was a real cop - as I understand it police have the same powers off duty as they do on duty, however they still have to follow proper procedures.

Reactions: AnnaB

AnnaB

4 September 2015
Thank you. Yes, he did show me identification. I felt pretty intimidated, though, and I still have my doubts that proper procedures were followed. However, nothing further has come of it, so I will let the issue go. Thank you for your replies.

Ozwarlock67

16 April 2015
You also have the right to ask for HIS details. Name, rank and where he is based. I think it's a bit high-handed though, to pull you over when he is off duty and intimidate you.