NSW Notice Period Change During COVID

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

questioneer

6 March 2021
I'd like to start with the background of my situation:

- I am a full time, regular employee of a small company
- I've had to take 2 months off to take care of family (January - February 2021)
- Upon my return I was told that due to COVID work has been slow and they can only allow me a few days a week to work, at least for the next two months
- The situation for my colleagues has not changed at all, and prior to me taking a break, I was doing a lot of unpaid overtime so the idea that there isn't work does not seem true. However, this does not affect me - for this question I am seeking help regarding another legal item
- I've decided that the change my employer has made to my employment work details (3 days a week) won't work for me and so I now wish to resign. Staying any longer in the company is presently not an option I intend on taking, even if it means I'll be unemployed for the next few months

Phew. That was harder to type that I thought. Unto my main question:

My contract states that I need to render 4-weeks notice period when resigning. Is it possible for me to get into a situation or agreement where I will not need to render those 4 weeks notice period? I imagine the 4-weeks will be 4 three-day work weeks as well.

The reason I ask is that the company claims it cannot give me enough work, so me enforcing the need for 4 weeks paid notice seems to be much, and I am okay not to put them through that. Even if that is not the case and they just wish to get rid of me, my question remains the same as I also do not wish to stay a day longer that I should. At the same time, I do not want to render 4-weeks notice with just 3 days a week work each week; I will be better off working at even a temporary but 5-day work week job. COVID does not seem to be an issue with finding some better-than-3-days work, at least very fortunately not in my case. What are my options?

Last edited:

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Looks like repudiation by your employer of your contract.

Get the wording right in your notice and you won't need to give 4 weeks notice.