QLD Notice

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mary22

19 June 2018
I have been in a job for 5 months and in my contract it said i must give 4 weeks notice which i have done. I thought my employer would need my help training a new employee however this is not the case and i have been basically stripped of all duties and am doing not much of anything. My boss then said to me one week into my notice period that if I agree I could finish after 3 weeks which i agreed to - now I am wondering if I only had to give 2 weeks notice as per the NES and if so I could leave in 2 days. Can anyone help me here? I dont think i am under an award - i basically do an admin role but my contract says accountant/bookkeeper. Can i leave after 2 weeks or am i now obligated to leave after the 3 agreed on? My 4 weeks notice is in writing and the 3 weeks agreement between us is verbal only. What should i be paid for - the 4 weeks or the 3? Sorry a bit complicated!

24 August 2020
The answers to your questions can be found by simply clarifying with your employer.

Put it in writing. "as per our conversation I am writing to clarify my final day will be xxxx being the 3 weeks' notice which has been agreed upon."

I would think if both parties have agreed on 3 weeks' notice you will only be paid for 3 weeks? This may just be a wait and see what happens. You have already agreed to 3 weeks' notice. if you get paid for 4 weeks that is great.