QLD Notice of address or Notice of withdrawal of lawyer?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Migz

20 November 2016
Quick question, does a "notice of address" uploaded to the portal along with an email to the other party stating that you are self representing, mean anything? Or does the other parties solicitor require a "notice of withdrawal of lawyer" before they will negotiate with you again?

Jake Matherson

15 June 2018
Just a bloke going through a mess of my own.

But the other parties lawyer in my case intended to pull out and she did it incorrectly as advised to me by a lawyer.

"Also note that the Notice of Intention of Withdrawal is never filed and the correct way to do it is:

1. Lawyer writing to you(or your lawyer) that they intend to withdraw so that you can communicate directly with the other party;
2. After the 7 days notice the lawyer files a Notice of Withdrawal and serves same and attached to that is the Notice of Intention to Withdraw so that the Court know that the other party was on notice."

This is just my experience with this. It might help you. But I would not respond directly to the other party if they had a lawyer acting for them unless their lawyer contacted me and told me that they were no longer acting for the other party.
When you throw in some DV orders that state no contact with the other party unless it's about court stuff it's to much of a grey area to act without confirmation on things.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
The DV issue is a good point.