QLD Non payment of wages.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sharon Codray

25 June 2018
Hi Everyone,

Progress has occurred since I last posted.
FWO has contacted the ex employer about not paying my partner the $70,000 owed wages.
Ex employer has now finally decided to act & have engaged a lawyer.
The lawyer is requiring answers to repetitive questions, 20 of them.

Our concerns are over a few questions being asked that we see as none of the ex employers business.
The questions relate to the full time permanent job my partner had whilst completing the second job with the ex employer.
Are they trying to prove it was impossible to have worked two full time jobs?
If it goes to court we can produce records of all hours worked at both jobs.

Should we produce to the ex employers lawyer the requirements they are requesting - all records of ex employers hours my partner completed, hours worked in full time job, how many days a week he works in his full time job, what title / role he holds in that job? Why do they want this now?
We don't want to part with what could be used in court if it goes that way. In other words we don't think we should open our deck of cards completely , do you think we should?
What advice can you please offer to shed some light onto what maybe happening or how to respond back.
Thank you.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
To start with as the matter is not before a court, I'd be telling the lawyer the information about the second job conducted with the ex-employer's knowledge and approval, is not relevant to the money owed by the ex-employer to your husband.

And yes, they are looking for ways to prove your husband didn't work the hours he is claiming. I'd likely do the same thing, but doesn't mean you need to comply.

Reactions: Sharon Codray