NSW New Partner's Assets

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Flemming

6 September 2016
I am in the process of negotiating Property Split, Child Support and Spouse Support with my Ex wife.

I have a new partner who has some property abroad - will this have any impact on my settlement with my ex wife in terms of property split, child support or spouse support?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Possibly. And if you contribute to the upkeep of your new partner that should also be taken into account.

Tricky area and if it goes to court it can go either way. You'd need a lawyer to advise on what is best in your circumstances.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Highly unlikely. Your ex won't have a legal interest in any property attained by your partner before your new relationship commenced, but if you start contributing to those properties with assets that your ex may have some share in, then it will get complicated.

For now, it is best just to leave your current partner and all of their assets out of it.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
The areas it has most chance to least chance are spousal maintenance, child support, and then least likely (almost certainly not) is the property split.

I know someone whose de-facto's income was included by CSA to increase their partner's contribution to their ex, though that was a complex case.

Flemming

6 September 2016
Thank you. My partner is afraid that my ex wife can claim on her assets.

I don't think that is the case. Worst case is that it may affect my payments in form of spouse support and child support - right?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Yes. BTW your new partner's concern is understandable, even if misplaced.