NSW Property and financial settlement after divorce

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Alex0815

12 March 2019
I am separated over 6 years and legally divorced since more than 2 years, with 2 kids with ex partner. We agree on child support and co-parenting and me and my family support ex and kids beyond CSA assesment requirements, also caring for kids 50/50..
We have never made any formal financial/property arrangements or spouse maintenance arrangements.
Ex partner does not have any major assets, but i do have property overseas (owned before and after marriage with usufruct from my dad).
Planning to move into a rental with new defacto partner of 4+years who owns her own property and could be worried that my ex could "claim" her assets.
1) without any formal agreement after 12 months passed since divorce, can my ex lay a claim on anything for the rest of my life form me, even assets I acquired after the divorce?
2) can my ex claim any of my new partners assets if there are no agreements?
3) can my ex claim any of my new partners assests if i have a pre-nup with new partner?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Your ex can 'claim' whatever she likes.

The chances of getting a court to help her are small, and get smaller every year.

1. Yes, but remote chance
2. Only if you assisted purchase those assets
3. See 2.