NSW Need info on PR validity within 12 months separation for Secondary Visa applicant

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

User1983

24 January 2019
Need info on PR validity within 12 months separation for Secondary Visa applicant
I recently received 186 PR for me and my family (wife and 8 year daughter as secondary applicants). I am in Australia but y wife and daughter are currently overseas, they have not validated their PR (not entered Australia). I am getting separated from my wife (serving 12 months separation period) before I can apply for divorce.
What will be the impact on:
1. PR of my wife and daughter during this separation period, will their PR be valid during this period?
2. Will their PR be valid after divorce grant?
3. Do they need to enter Australia to Validate PR before Divorce?
Thanks in advance.

Ann Zhou

Lawyer & Registered Migration Agent
27 January 2017
Sydney
lawtap.com
Your questions could be along with the following lines:
1. Please bear in mind, as main visa applicant, you are obliged to report any change of your circumstance to the immigration department before visa validation.
2. After your wife and daughter's 186 visas are validated, your divorce will not affect their 186 visa.
3. Yes, your wife and daughter need to validated their visa first if you wish them to keep the 186 visa after divorce.

Hope this has answered your questions

Ann @ expatlawyers.com.au

User1983

24 January 2019
Hi,

Do I need to tell immigration department about separation (12 months period before divorce) also?

Is it going to affect their PR?

Thanks