SA Mixer Tap from Bunnings Licenced Plumber Only?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Delta 31

15 August 2016
I decided to purchase a Puratap three in one mixer tap to replace the mixer tap and separate filter tap currently fitted. I had previously purchased and installed my current mixer tap from Bunnings. When I asked Puratap if I could install the mixer tap myself, thereby avoiding the $100 plumber fee, I was told that it was illegal to self-install mixer taps and that my insurance was void as I had installed the previous one without professional accreditation.

It is really just a tap; is it really a 'licenced plumber only' task to install a mixer tap, and if so, why is this not displayed at Bunnings?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
s it really a 'licenced plumber only' task to install a mixer tap, and if so, why is this not displayed at Bunnings?

1. Yes. Plumbing, like electrical work can cause significant damage and safety issues if not done properly. I still remember watching water drip out a light fitting while power was on. Not a nice experience. Flat above had a sink fitting break (mixer tap!!) and water poured down through every space it could find!

2. Why should Bunnings be forced to display such as a message? Maybe they should put safety warning on hammers as well - 'danger Will Robinson'! People need to take responsibility for their own actions. If you are doing work you are not qualified to do, either accept the risk, or pay someone. Don't make it the supplier's fault. Plus Bunnings have an excellent returns policy.