QLD Medical Negligence - Surgical Clips Left Inside Body

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

B . Gillard

10 January 2015
Queensland
Is it medical negligence for a surgeon NOT TO IMFORM his patient that he has closed up an operation leaving two surgical clips inside unknown area of the body ?

Victoria S

9 April 2014
Hi @B . Gillard
I think the medical negligence would also relate to the surgeon actually leaving clips inside your body. And then the other part of it would be the surgeon not making you aware of any potential issues that may result from that or that such a thing would be a potential risk of surgery. Are you in pain or suffering because of the clips?

Have a read of these previous LawAnswers posts dealing with medical negligence:

You can also make a complaint to the Queensland Health Ombusdman. And remember that there is generally a time limit of three years for making a personal injury claim (which medical negligence falls under).

B . Gillard

10 January 2015
Queensland
Hi Victoria,
I have had 6 years of pain and suffering, the past two totally ruined my life. I spent two years with doctors sending me for every kind of test possible and finally in nov 2014 investergastion surgery ... Two filshe clips imbedded in my sidewall muscle
And also attached to Colon. I lost my $100k a year job last February due to illness. I am now having serious bowel problems.
I had no idea I had these clips used in me or left inside to float around lose now told they are deemed to be safe as they are made of titanium and silicon.
I say only safe when attached to part of body they were put on in first place . The clips came off tubes and were not attached at time of hysterectomy so they were just left behind.
Unemployed at age 53 because of not being informed 12 years ago I had these clips floating randomly in my abdomen.
What happed to DUTY OF CARE
Kind regards
B.