NSW Making an Assumption in a Public Document - Sued for Defamation?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Nikki0683

4 October 2015
Hi I have a matter with NCAT right now and in my submission I mentioned a neighbour was in an intimate relationship with another neighbour to demonstrate their collusion against me. However, it turns out that the neighbour is not homosexual. She wrote me a letter saying basically if I don't withdraw the statement she would pursue defamation of her character and reputation. I have no problem withdrawing that statement and writing her an apology. But can she take this further if I admit I made an error?

Any help would be most appreciated.

S

Sophea

Generally if you can make an apology quickly, remove the statement and fix things up to the best of your ability then you reduce any potential damage to her reputation and therefore lessen your liability and therefore what she can recover from you in a defamation action. So yes, make your apology and remove the statements as quickly as possible.

However, there is a defence for defamation if the statements are made in the course of court proceedings known as absolute privilege.