WA Likely Punishments for Aggravated Assault?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Billychick78

20 December 2016
I'm due to appear in court for aggravated assault and need to make a plea. I am guilty, therefore, pleading guilty but contesting some facts.

Due to recent facts, I need to plead ASAP. How do I proceed now? What is my likely punishment? And then what happens?

Thanks for any help.

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi,

It all depends on the facts of the case, past history, where there any VRO's in place. Common assault in circumstances of aggravation can be 3 years imprisonment and a $36,000 fine. If the Assault occasioned bodily harm it could be 7 years. Its really hard to say without all the facts. If you get legal representation they should be able to advise you of likely court decisions based on the facts of the case.

Billychick78

20 December 2016
Hi,

It all depends on the facts of the case, past history, where there any VRO's in place. Common assault in circumstances of aggravation can be 3 years imprisonment and a $36,000 fine. If the Assault occasioned bodily harm it could be 7 years. Its really hard to say without all the facts. If you get legal representation they should be able to advise you of likely court decisions based on the facts of the case.
Thanks for the info. Yes, it's with bodily harm and I didn't get legal help. I plead guilty and now have to get a pre-sentence report and legal advice.

Next date is Jan for sentencing. No previous history of any offences bar a misdemeanor traffic violation.