VIC laws around 'gifts of money'

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

anne_angel83

26 November 2019
I was offered a "gift of money" from my mother, which I didn't ask for and haven't taken, of 120,000. With this offer came a A4 sized letter, signed and dated, stating it was from a law firm, without a letterhead, in legaleze that made no sense, with a long long list of stipulations that had to be followed in how to use the money, it was only allowed to be spent on one thing, and a lot of conditions that went along with the "gift".
Stating she had to "approve" the purchase, have a copy of receipts before the money would be "reimbursed" "maybe" and she had to have final say, my question is, is any of this legal or binding in any way? I'm very suspitious of it.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
I'm very suspitious of it.
And rightly so.
That said, it's a bit hard to say much more without seeing it
(no, don't post it here).
And it certainly isn't possible to guess on its origin or any reasoning behind it.

If your Mum is somebody who has $120,000, and you are concerned that she is somehow at risk,
then seek formal legal advice.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I agree it sounds suspicious. Take the letter to a lawyer for review.

The problem you may face is if there is a dispute about the conditions (say over interpretation) and your mother demands the return of the money.