Late Wages Employment Law Advice?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
30 April 2014
My employer regularly does not put my wages through on time, usually being a day or two late if not more. Is there anything I can do about this apart from looking for another job?
Thanks!

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Which state are you in?
Are you permanent/ ongoing, or casual?

30 April 2014
Sorry, should've included that info -_-

I'm in WA, fulltime permanent position. It's a small business, 6 employees in store

rebeccag

8 April 2014
G'Day ResurgetExFavilla,
Have you raised this issue with your employer? If yes, what have they said?
Are your wages paid on the set day by the employer but delayed because of bank-to-bank transfer times?

30 April 2014
Hi Rebecca,

No I haven't raised anything with my employer yet, tbh some of his practices are downright dodgy and I don't think it'll go well for my job security if I start asking questions, especially if I don't know where I stand legally :S
We often see him only *start* processing our wages a day after the set day, definitely not a bank transfer issue. He previously had a payearoll officer processing pays, however he has since been fired and the CEO has taken over himself

rebeccag

8 April 2014
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much you can do legally if your pay is a day or so late on the basis that you are in fact being paid and you're being paid the correct amount (and not being underpaid). It might be worthwhile contacting Wageline WA (1300 655 266) to discuss your situation and potentially filing a complaint if you think there are some dodgy employment practices going on.

Reactions: John R