VIC Late Payment Fee to Sole Trader Invoice?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

melanie87

26 January 2015
Hi all,
Does anyone know of the official and legal method under commercial law to add a late payment fee to an invoice? I am a sole trader and freelance worker. I'm unsure whether to create a new invoice number, or alter the current invoice and add an "R" for revised to the original invoice number. Do I change the issue date, and do I create a new due date?

Is there a general guideon what percentage of a fee should be added, after what period of time?

Many thanks!

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Late payment fees need to be listed on your supplier terms of trade. If you have not told your customers you will add late payment fees then I don't think you can just add them because you are upset over late payments.

Do you have anything in your trading terms that talks about what happens if they don't pay by the due date?

If not, you need to send them a demand letter saying pay immediately or face extra costs and possibly be taken to court.

melanie87

26 January 2015
Hi Rod, thanks for your reply. I'm aware of what you've mentioned, my terms say 'we reserve the right to charge a late payment fee for overdue invoices' - my query is more so in regards to how to construct the invoice (refer to first post).

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Best to create a new invoice with the description of what it is and which invoice it relates to.

That way if they dispute the late fee it is no excuse not to pay the original amount. Generally best not to amend invoices unless the receiving party agrees to the amendment or there is an error. :)

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney