QLD Joint Tenants with Estranged Spouse - Rights to Store Possessions in Property?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

CJ999

7 June 2015
My estranged spouse and I have financial Consent Orders in place that provides for continuing shared Joint Tenants ownership of our house. I live in the house, my spouse moved out, but now wants to store a shipping container full of possessions in our back yard.

Does my spouse have the legal right to do that?

S

Sophea

I would think that if the consent orders granted you sole occupancy then this would be something that you would have to come to an agreement on with your ex. However if there is no sole occupancy order - as joint tenants you have equal rights to the use of the property.

CJ999

7 June 2015
I would think that if the consent orders granted you sole occupancy then this would be something that you would have to come to an agreement on with your ex. However if there is no sole occupancy order - as joint tenants you have equal rights to the use of the property.
Thanks Sophea...no, there was no mention of sole occupancy. I guess the problem is in the definition of 'use'. I don't think that would cover my ex coming in and digging up the garden, or storing a whole lot of damaged car bodies on the lawns, say. I would think the definition of 'use' would be more likely to say have a birthday party or just lie around sunbaking!...but not to do anything 'destructive' to the property...but I know the 'law' can be an odd beast at times! Any thoughts on 'definitions'?