NSW Jaywalking NSW - Don't Pay Fine?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

BluHousworker

1 September 2014
"Cross when pedestrian lights not green"

I was ticketed for crossing the street (along with about ten other people who were not ticketed) and have decided to not pay the tax levied upon me, which was initially 70.00 dollars. That fine has now increased to 229.00 dollars after I was unable to make the court date.

I have four questions.

1. What are the ramifications of just not paying this fine for "Jay Walking" under Traffic Law?

2. What options are available to people when trying to fight a Jay Walking ticket?

3. Can I counter sue the ticketing officer for anything?

4. Is Jay Walking a common method of generating funds for the city?

Thanks for your time

S

Sophea

Dear JW,

Traffic infractions that are sometimes classed as ‘jaywalking’ include ignoring red pedestrian lights, attempting to cross when traffic lights are green, crossing a road diagonally (unless permitted) and failing to use a zebra crossing that is within 20 metres of your location. These are valid Australian laws, as valid and as enforceable as running a red light in your car, stealing or manslaughter, no matter how comparatively insignificant they may seem. Depending on the jurisdiction, jaywalking will be considered either a misdemeanor or an infraction.

1. If you do not pay your fine, it will likely accumulate interest, penalties and enforcement costs. They will likely send an enforcement agency after you to recover the monies due. Similar to what happens when you don't pay a parking fine - it may affect your eligibility to hold a driver's license. In many jurisdictions, fines also increase with repeat jaywalking offences. I recommend simply paying it before it escalates.
2. Options for fighting a ticket: I understand you can contest the ticket, but unless you can prove that the light was in fact green or that it was a case of mistaken identity, then I doubt you have much of a chance.
3. Did he assault you? If not no. He was enforcing a bona fide pedestrian traffic infringement.
4. Whether you like it or not Jaywalking is an offence, if you break the rule you have to be prepared to foot the fine. Australia is extremely over regulated in many respects, i.e. my pet hate - having to wear a helmet on a bicycle. But its the country we live in, so take the good with the bad.