VIC Speeding Fines - Could I Get a Warning Under Traffic Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jamesc

22 November 2016
Hi,

I was issued a speeding fine (on the spot) about a week ago and the police officer wrote loser in the description of offence on the ticket. At the time, I didn't realize as he had folded the ticket up when passing it to me. Now I don't know if loser is a code or a legitimate description but it was quite hurtful to see something like this.

This would be my first ever offence of any kind and wasn't expecting something like this from an officer of the law that we are meant to be respectful towards . Also he got me for not displaying a p plate but the front p plate was up and visible but the rear one had fallen onto the back seat.

Is there a way I can get a warning of some sort for this under Traffic Law?

S

Sophea

Last I heard speeding offences for less than 10 km/h over the limit can be reduced to an official warning if you hold a current licence (provisional included), have not had a previous speeding or other traffic infringement or warning within the last 2 years and do not deny you committed the office.

You can't get the same for anything over 10km/h in excess of the speed limit. However since there is the accompanying infringement of non display of plates, I'm not sure whether they would decide differently. I would contact VIC police to confirm and get further info on how to apply for warning.

Reactions: Jamesc

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Don't like your chances, but no harm trying.

BTW, an improperly displayed P plate is an offence regardless of how it happened.

Jamesc

22 November 2016
Thanks, I'm aware that it is an offence and didn't deny or argue the point with the officer just according to the fine I was doing 71 in a 60 zone plus the p plate thing which I think is 6 points. Now I was under the impression that P platers on got 5 every 12 months, hence trying to at least get a warning for the plate that fell off.

Also if I just cop it on the chin does that mean I lose my license? Does anyone have an idea on how this works?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I'd be writing in about the p plate. Explain that it started off on the window (you checked before driving), a sticker mark was visible on back window, P plate fell onto back seat while driving.

re: Loss of licence. Call VicRoads or look at their site.

Jamesc

22 November 2016
Thanks, one of the sticker/plugs was still on the window when he checked and he clearly seen the plate laying on the back seat. But rules are rules I guess. I'll try my best, I can only hope for luck .