IVO - Family contact

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sam8087

16 January 2020
Hi there

I have an interim IVO against me and in my conditions I cannot contact her. However I have a phone that her mother is paying for and the protected person is living with her mother. The protected person has emailed me asking to discuss the phone and transfer of ownership etc.

Is it against my IVO to text the mother to arrange a place to finalise the phone transfer, what she would like to do with it?
I really don’t want to break my IVO conditions.
Thanks.

Jake Matherson

15 June 2018
Hey Sam,

It all depends on what the IVO actually says.

But I suspect it will say something like
No direct contact with the protected person.

Additionally it might say no indirect contact with her. That would mean contacting her mother to pass messages to her.

what does it actually say?

Do not respond directly to the protected person no matter what they say. Things like don't worry i wont breach you or something along those lines.
If there are no clauses stating that you cant talk to the mother. I would wait until the mother contacted me directly and deal directly with the mother keep it 100% about returning the property.

Sam8087

16 January 2020
hey thanks for your reply. Yeah it says no direct contact with the protected person or through someone else. I’m not trying to contact her at all. I just want to give the phone back to her mother and transfer the number into my name as it has my whole life connected to it. Work, childcare, job applications etc etc.

I’m worried, because of the false accusations that she may spin me having her mothers phone as another way of being violent or controlling.

I’m really at the point of just dropping it off at a police station and informing them to contact her regarding it.

But I really want to keep this number.

Hey Sam,

It all depends on what the IVO actually says.

But I suspect it will say something like
No direct contact with the protected person.

Additionally it might say no indirect contact with her. That would mean contacting her mother to pass messages to her.

what does it actually say?

Do not respond directly to the protected person no matter what they say. Things like don't worry i wont breach you or something along those lines.
If there are no clauses stating that you cant talk to the mother. I would wait until the mother contacted me directly and deal directly with the mother keep it 100% about returning the property.

Jake Matherson

15 June 2018
The protected person can message/email/call you all they like and wont ever get in trouble for it.

If you respond you will.

If the phone is owned by the mother and in the mothers name you could potentially deal directly with the mother to have things transferred to you.
But again I would be waiting until the mother contacted you directly and dealing only with the mother.

Dropping the phone at the police station and having the other parties collect it is probably an option. But that wont help you with the transfer you desire.

Getting a new number is probably cheaper/easier than getting a lawyer to help you communicate with them in a way that you're protected.

I'm not a lawyer, I have had to navigate around my own no contact orders. So this is probably what I might have done if i was in your situation and is by no means legal advice.
Provided my orders allowed it i would message the mum saying that I have some of the Ex's belongings to return and organise a neutral place to meet only with the mother and exchange goods.
I might then ask the mother (owner of the account) about the potential to organise number transfer. If she was in favour of that cool, sort it out together without involving the Ex at all.
If she was opposed I would just hand over the phone and move on.