VIC IVO could be dismissed at court hearting?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

spacc

5 May 2021
hi folks,

I am the respondent to an ivo in last Nov. I had the first court hearing last Dec, court issued an interim ivo, next court hearing in Sep this year. Interim ivo does not have any specified conditions but those three common conditions.

my question is, in the next court hearing, can I ask the court to dismiss the ivo? because I am an army reservist, due to this ivo, I missed my training. because the ivo does not allow me to touch firearms.

I have very clear history, even do not have traffic ticket what's so ever. any chance the magistrate could dismiss my ivo? can I argue that? I need to be able to touch the firearm in order to complete my army training. Or the special consideration, I can only use firearms for work purposes, in my case, which is in the training facility.

thanks heaps

sammy01

27 September 2015
oh dear - So it is likely that it will only have a 12 month life span. This suxs because you will have had a 10 month interim order. May as well have accepted without admission and be done with it.

Atticus

6 February 2019
because I am an army reservist, due to this ivo, I missed my training. because the ivo does not allow me to touch firearms
Does the IVO SPECIFICALLY say you are prohibited from touching a firearm? I would be surprised if it does TBH.

Normally the respondent to an IVO is prohibited from obtaining a firearms license, & if they have one it will be suspended & firearms & ammunition seized. Even with an IVO though a person is not committing an offense if they handle a firearm. Be it at a gunshop a club, shooting range etc.

I would be double checking. There may not be a need. That said, if you need to you can apply to vary it to use at training.