NSW Is there a Youth Curfew?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
17 May 2019
This is a question which has been in my mind for a long time. Does there exist a curfew for people under 18? I'm 15, and last night before I went to sleep I had a 30 minute walk on the streets at 12:30 am (I live in the country, where crime rates are basically 0%) which was very peaceful, but couldn't stop thinking to myself: Is this against the law? And that is my question, is it illegal to be walking around on the street at this time of night? I'm not doing drugs or alcohol, not vandalising anything, just having a simple walk. Will the police pick me up and take me to the police station? If not, then does that change if I am walking with friends?

GC.

26 October 2015
There are youth curfews in some areas of Australia but I believe that they are the exception rather than the norm.

Most of the time you hear about youth curfews it is in relation to the USA.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
The police can stop you and speak to you if they have (in cop-speak) "concern for your welfare".

It's not an offence in itself to be out at night as a minor.
But it is unusual for an under 18 to be out, alone, late,
and there can sometimes be a good reason...
(Have they run away? Are they running away from violence at home?
Are they homeless? Have they run away from a party that went bad?)

As to it being with others... consider offences such as Disorderly Conduct, Offensive Behaviour, even Consorting.
Even seemingly trivial stuff like Council by-laws against "loitering".

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
It is rare, but possible. Curfews are usually imposed by councils, so they are the best people to contact to find out if a curfew applies in your particular area.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
It is rare, but possible.
It is.
One other point - if you are not male, white, and middlingly well dressed, or
if you are mouthy, impolite, and start jabbering about "your rights"
then you can expect to be... attention worthy.