Recognised as shoplifter

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Xiviw

12 June 2022
I’m such an idiot. Last week I was at Westfield and stole around $270 worth of stuff from a store. I purchased something else so they have my Mastercard information and cctv of me putting the stuff in my bag. I walked out with the stolen stuff and the purchased stuff

I recently went back to the same store, and was recognised as a thief By store staff. I walked around this time, didn’t buy or steal anything. Security came around and asked some questions. They asked if I was here on x date, I said no. I didn’t give them any info behind that and left. I promptly left Westfield.

But they clearly recognise me, they have video of me doing it previously and my credit card info. How likely is it that the store/security will tell police and police will come knocking on my door?

What does the police/store have to do to get my info from the bank?

For reference I am 22yo and from NSW I never want to do this again. Stupidest thing I’ve ever done, no doubt about it. I want to go apologise to the store but I don’t want to admit guilt

Any advice will be greatly appreciated !!!! Will not be doing this again. So stupid