VIC Is There a Section 10 Under Criminal Law in Victoria?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
2 January 2016
I read the forum for Section 10 under Criminal Law where defendants can appeal against a conviction for minor offences. I asked my local court in Victoria and they said that there was nothing like that in Victoria and that the charge remains.

I have a 'drunk in public' charge from 2009 that police told me not to turn up and defend in court as there was nothing for me to defend. When I got the paperwork, it said the matter was 'Discharged', which I thought at the time meant no conviction. I only found out recently when applying for jobs that this is a criminal charge.

Is this forum mainly for NSW matters? Have I lost my opportunity to provide character evidence to the court?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
No, this is not a NSW centric forum.

There is no section 10 in the Crimes Act 1958 (Vic). If you were not aware of this then you should seek legal assistance else you'll get walked all over in court.

You are also probably asking whether you can appeal the judgement. I'm not experienced enough to answer.