WA Is Superannuation Included by Default in an Employment Contract?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mal

7 August 2015
I have recently received an offer of employment. It quotes salary per annum, but does not mention if this is inclusive or exclusive of mandatory superannuation. At no point has this been discussed.

Does the relevant legislation offer any guidance here? Is it like sales tax where the price quoted has to be the actual price, or do I have an ambiguous employment contract?

S

Sophea

Hi Mal,
As you are likely aware, employers must make minimum mandatory contributions on behalf of their employees under the Superannuation Guarantee (Administration) Act 1992 (Cth) , or they will incur a superannuation guarantee charge.

I would assume that the quoted salary figure does not include your super contributions, unless it is referred to as a "remuneration package". I would save yourself the stress and hassle and just ask your new employer whether it does include super or not and what rate of super will be paid. The current rate for the 2015-2016 financial year is 10%.

Reactions: John R