WA Is Car Finance Contract Null and Void?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

MIKE JOHN

3 November 2016
Hi,

I need help for my daughter. She has to move to NZ for a family emergency & we were going through her car finance contract to see what she could do & we discovered that the contract was for a different car than the one she has & she has been paying it for 2 years now.

I have been told that the contract is null & void & she can hand the car back without owing any further money & her still having a clear credit rating. Is this correct? What options do we have?

Victoria S

9 April 2014
Hi Mike, who told you that? What car is on the finance contract? A substantially different car that is identified by different VIN etc?

MIKE JOHN

3 November 2016
I was told by a friend who is a para legal. The car on the finance contract is a 2011 model SS Manual & the car she has is a 2012 SV6 Auto with different plate numbers, no VIN recorded on the contract.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I can see that the contract may be voided, but then the matter opens up to a claim of equitable relief by the finance company.

Don't like your daughter's chances.

MIKE JOHN

3 November 2016
Hi Mike, who told you that? What car is on the finance contract? A substantially different car that is identified by different VIN etc?
I was told by a friend who is a para legal. The car on the finance contract is a 2011 model SS Manual & the car she has is a 2012 SV6 Auto with different plate numbers, no VIN recorded on the contract.