QLD Intestacy Non Disclosure Of Illegitimate Beneficiary

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Spikey Norma

14 July 2017
Is it it illegal not to disclose possible illegitimate beneficiary when someone dies intestate?

My Uncle has died in QLD without a will, and I have been contacted by Public Trustee several months later after he was placed in care. (I am in UK ).

He has no partner or children, and his parents and 4 siblings are dead including my Father. The Trustee have details for my sister and I plus the (legitimate) child of one of his other dead brothers. So 3 nieces are beneficiaries all in UK

However, that same brother had an illegitimate daughter much earlier in life who went to live in USA. leaving her child behind to be raised by her Father (his grandad) nearly 40 years ago and she is barely mentioned. She got married but I don't know her married name. If I went digging I could possibly locate her via her son but it would be painful for him to drag this all up. (never come to light before because there were wills!)

Because it is a big secret in the family and most people who knew are dead, Is is unlikely that this would be stumbled across but I am concerned whether I am duty bound to declare this legally (as well as morally) and if I could be in trouble for non-disclosure if I don't,
Any help much apreciated!

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Time heals all wounds, and sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants. Tell the truth.