QLD Infringement for Unlawful Edge Filtering - Is It Worth Challenging?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ashley Davis

4 August 2015
With the new motorcycle laws introduced in February this year in Queensland, edge filtering is legal when the speed limit is at least 90 k/m.

The other day I was pulled over by police for edge filtering after entering an 80 k/m zone. This was approximately 500m after the 100 k/m zone ended. I had entered the road shoulder in the 100 k/m zone, traffic was at a stand-still and I was looking for a safe opportunity to merge. That didn't happen and I was pulled over.

Is it worth contesting this infringement under traffic law? Is there any possibility it would go in my favour?

S

Sophea

Since this is a new law, there is little specific information about the level of laxity of authorities will extend to motorists re-entering traffic after edge filtering, however considering there are usually no warning signs for speed limit changes on highways, I would think that they would expect you to remerge after a speed change within a "reasonable" distance. What is reasonable will depend on each case and is ultimately to be decided by a judge and this may be a reason to fight this fine - if you believe your behaviour was reasonable in the circumstances. Unfortunately there is no definitive yes or no answer.