Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

QLD Infringement for Unlawful Edge Filtering - Is It Worth Challenging?

Discussion in 'Traffic Law Forum' started by Ashley Davis, 4 August 2015.

1. Ashley Davis

Ashley Davis Member

With the new motorcycle laws introduced in February this year in Queensland, edge filtering is legal when the speed limit is at least 90 k/m.

The other day I was pulled over by police for edge filtering after entering an 80 k/m zone. This was approximately 500m after the 100 k/m zone ended. I had entered the road shoulder in the 100 k/m zone, traffic was at a stand-still and I was looking for a safe opportunity to merge. That didn't happen and I was pulled over.

Is it worth contesting this infringement under traffic law? Is there any possibility it would go in my favour?

2. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

Since this is a new law, there is little specific information about the level of laxity of authorities will extend to motorists re-entering traffic after edge filtering, however considering there are usually no warning signs for speed limit changes on highways, I would think that they would expect you to remerge after a speed change within a "reasonable" distance. What is reasonable will depend on each case and is ultimately to be decided by a judge and this may be a reason to fight this fine - if you believe your behaviour was reasonable in the circumstances. Unfortunately there is no definitive yes or no answer.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...