QLD Received Traffic Infringement Fine from Unmarked Police Car?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

clapper

28 November 2016
G'day,

I was stopped the other day by an unmarked police car and told I had been clocked at 74kph in a 60 zone and I was shown the handheld device with digital screen. The officer told me that he had originally got me doing 70 in a 60 zone some 3 klm previous and had been travelling with lights and sirens going, trying to get me to pull over ( I doubt this is correct but on the bike with a helmet on, it is hard to hear).

So my issue is that we had passed 3 change of speed signs: 60-100, 100-80 and 80-60. When asked where the 74kph occurred, the officer stated it was way back somewhere.

My question is that the alleged 74k's could have been any where in that 3k we travelled. There is one thing I noticed on the traffic infringement notice is in the box marked "information about the offence" he has written 133.5 meters.

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi, are you saying you definitely were not doing 74 in a 60 zone?. Even though the officers story sounds shaky you are currently looking at 1 demerit point and $162 fine. If you think you were falsely accused and want to contest the fine in court, you could try but it may not be worth your while. you have 28 days from the date of the infringement to decide to fight it in court.

More information about disputing an infringement in court can be found on this website: How to transfer or dispute a fine | Transport and motoring | Queensland Government

Victoria S

9 April 2014
Agreed, although according to you the police officer can't prove when he clocked you at 74km/h, you can prove that it wasn't in a 60km/h zone. It might not be worth the stress, time and expense for $162

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Clapper, I apologise I must have quoted less than 13km/hr over instead of 13 -20 km/hr. If you think you can disprove what the police officer has recorded, I would say go for it.

imanlore

24 June 2017
G'day,

I was stopped the other day by an unmarked police car and told I had been clocked at 74kph in a 60 zone and I was shown the handheld device with digital screen. The officer told me that he had originally got me doing 70 in a 60 zone some 3 klm previous and had been travelling with lights and sirens going, trying to get me to pull over ( I doubt this is correct but on the bike with a helmet on, it is hard to hear).

So my issue is that we had passed 3 change of speed signs: 60-100, 100-80 and 80-60. When asked where the 74kph occurred, the officer stated it was way back somewhere.

My question is that the alleged 74k's could have been any where in that 3k we travelled. There is one thing I noticed on the traffic infringement notice is in the box marked "information about the offence" he has written 133.5 meters.
you have the right to cross examine your accuser
a handheld device with digital screen does not have a voice