WA Implications of Driving a Non-street-legal car.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Aussie_Al

25 February 2024
Hi,

Hainvg a robust 'discussion'with my 17 year old son about him driving his illegal car on the road. He has already been issued a defect notice in the past as it is lifted beyond the 2" limit, has an illegal bull bar etc. I am trying to explain the repercussions to him if he were to be involved in an accident and injure or possibly kill someone whilst driving this car. Would someone please be able to advise on the folowing?

1. As it is not fully compliant to be driven on the road, would any insurance be void (he has 3rd. Party, Fire & Theft)?

2. Would it be possible for the injured person and/or their family to sue our family for compensation, or would they only be able to sue my son directly (noting again he is 17 and living at home and is of little means), or would they not be able to sue at all? Would this be any different if he was 18?

3. The 3rd party insurance as part of the registration in WA would not cover this situation.

Many thanks for any clarification.

AA