VIC Ignored by DHS - Where to Get Help Next?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

barmite

22 June 2016
That's true but legal aid doesn't cover it and cost are up front. I don't have thousands of dollars spare but I am saving as much as possible

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Have you considered self-representing?

barmite

22 June 2016
I'm not quite confident enough to self-represent. I have, however, spent the last 5months researching family law, etc.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Many choose to self-represent up until the last hearing. The hardest part is knowing the finer points of law - what's admissible as evidence, how to cross-examine so that the questions and answers are relevant, what the formalities of the Court entail. You can attend hearing for family law matters at your local federal court to observe the goings-on inside the courtroom.

You can also fill the gaps in your knowledge with intermittent consultations for legal advice and community legal centres, legal aid and private lawyers. They, especially legal aid, can help with telling you what to file and what format it needs to be in.

Unfortunately, outside of Court, there aren't any options for addressing the contraventions of the parenting orders.

Reactions: barmite

barmite

22 June 2016
It's amazing how one minute there is a lawyer/people stating how the courts will punish you for breaching orders/abuse/neglect but in the same sentence, there's pretty much no one out there willing to listen and help you fight. I've heard this so many times and it's a disgrace. "It's because you're male/the father". If it was the mother with evidence/proof or allegations against the father, someone will listen.

MartyK

4 June 2016
The courts do often err on the side of caution, in the interim, that is true barmite. This is because the evidence has not been tested. For a contravention, there are 2 parts. 1. The applicant must show that the contravention occurred. 2. The respondent must show there was reasonable excuse. AllForHer has given you some good direction and insight. Not sure what you are expecting? Free representation?

There are a number of organizations out there that will assist you to self-represent. Some expect a form of reciprocation. The onus to learn and take charge of your own matter, however, is on you.

If you are passionate about children's rights/fathers rights perhaps you might consider offering your assistance to one of the many organizations out there advocating for equal parenting?