NSW If a person does not have your last name, can they serve you?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

zaphod

22 February 2023
Just a simple question, we have a former neighbour harrassing us over a dispute from last year, he has only our first name and address but does not have any of our other details apart from phone number of my wife.

The police have been involved due to his behavior and threats twice now and he has been informed that the only way to pursue any money from us would be via small claims court (he wants us to pay $1400 for something that has nothing to do with us).
He has since gone to a non-english media publication with his story where he states out and out lies, where his photo evidence clearly show the opposite to what he claims

I really want to know 2 things here.
- Without our last names, can he take us to small claims?
- He has been told by the police not to contact us, not to harass or threaten us, would having the reporter messaging and calling us as well as having an article publish with photos of our home and suburb be considered harassment and intimidation, as well as possible libel with the lies that he has had written?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
- Without our last names, can he take us to small claims?
No

- He has been told by the police not to contact us, not to harass or threaten us, would having the reporter messaging and calling us as well as having an article publish with photos of our home and suburb be considered harassment and intimidation, as well as possible libel with the lies that he has had written?
Multi part question

No - having the reporter messaging and calling is unlikely behaviour that can be attributed to the neighbour.
Yes - both the reporter and neighbour can be sued for defamation.

zaphod

22 February 2023
No

Multi part question

No - having the reporter messaging and calling is unlikely behaviour that can be attributed to the neighbour.
Yes - both the reporter and neighbour can be sued for defamation.
Thank you. It ha escalated slightly in that the article was published in a non-english publication and on the article there are specific threats made about bombing us and our house. Our house can also be identified pretty easily through what has been published. My wife made the original complaint so I have asked her to follow that up with the police