I know about a fradulent "will" - what do I do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Spencer77

19 July 2020
My friend who I cared for throughout his cancer passed a few days ago without a will. He never completed his will because he desperately wanted to find his illegitimate daughter and provide for her. We didn't find the girl before he passed but he did ask someone to be his executor. The executor is connected to his siblings who have all conspired to create a fake will. They are planning to submit this fake will (albeit it with no signature) as evidence of the deceased's intentions. I don't know what to do!

I have his hand written letters and notes expressing his desire to leave some or all of his estate to the daughter he never knew. The family is falsifying documents to claim everything - he didn't like them and he didn't want that to happen.
(For the record I have no interest in his estate - I just promised a dying man that I'd help find his daughter)

Last edited:

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
if he's intestate, then are you somebody who is eligible to apply for Letters Of Administration?

Spencer77

19 July 2020
I'm his best friend and neighbour but not family. I cared for him in his final months. He had me listed as his contact for the hospital and not his family. He did ask me to be his Power of Attorney but it was never finalised at the passed so quickly in the end. I don't think I'm close enough to him to be eligible to apply for Letters Of Administration.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Do Google search of "letters of administration" along with your state, and start reading.

Spencer77

19 July 2020
I'm his best friend and neighbour but not family. I cared for him in his final months. He had me listed as his contact for the hospital and not his family. He did ask me to be his Power of Attorney but it was never finalised at the passed so quickly in the end. I don't think I'm close enough to him to be eligible to apply for Letters Of Administration.
Done that thanks, the next of kin will be appointed as administrators. The Public trustee has advised me that all I can do is try to find the missing daughter myself at my own cost. If I can find her within 6 months she can contest the will. That's all that can be done.